The number of people who have died of cholera in the country has risen to six.
The Ministry of Health said yesterday that, on Wednesday, a 10-year-old boy died in Lilongwe on the way to hospital.
Ministry spokesperson, Joshua Malango said the deceased, from Kauma Area in Lilongwe, was first taken to a private clinic where his condition worsened.
Malango said the patient died when family members decided to take him to a public health facility. He did not make it to hospital.
“The Ministry of Health can, indeed, confirm that the death toll has reached six, with two cases registered in Lilongwe and four in Karonga District. So far, the country has registered 411 cholera cases but 16 people are currently receiving treatment in cholera camps. The others got treated and are all doing fine now.
“Our advice is that people should seek treatment in government hospitals and not rush to private clinics because they will not get proper treatment,” Malango said.
Malawi Health Equity Network Executive Director, George Jobe, advised people in the country to adhere to principles of hygiene and sanitation.
He said much as the government plans to start administering cholera vaccine, hygiene is the best vaccine.
Meanwhile, Blantyre, which was not among the affected districts, has registered one case at Mpemba Health Centre.
So far, the districts that have been affected are Lilongwe, Karonga, Kasungu, Dowa, Likoma, Nkhatabay, Nsanje, Blantyre, Chikwawa and Mulanje.